February 13, 2012

Barrel Notes: Day 17

I can't help buy go down and smell the barrel every couple days (the aroma had been gradually declining since that Day 4 post).  It has been a few days since I have checked in on the barrel, and not expecting much I was surprised by the burst of new aroma.  Its still got a sour note, but now there is some funky aromas going.

I grabbed my flashlight to see how it looks, and to my delight, a thin pellicle has formed!

A thin pellicle has formed inside the barrel on top the lambic.

Those of you follow this blog know what a pellicle is, and know its a crucial part of the lambic brewing and aging process.  This is sooner than I expected the pellicle to form, but honestly I didn't know when to expect it.  I am going to declare the primary fermentation as complete and bung the barrel.

No comments:

Google Analytics